Sunday, January 9, 2011

Redheads

Some quotes from wikipedia:

"People with red hair are often referred to as redheads or gingers. Approximately 1% to 2% of the human population has red hair."

"Cultural reactions have varied from ridicule to admiration; many common stereotypes exist regarding redheads and they are often portrayed as fiery-tempered."

"Queen Elizabeth I of England was a redhead, and during the Elizabethan era in England, red hair was fashionable for women."

So, here's the deal. Redheads often get a bad rap, but they were once the cool thing. Just ask anyone who knew Queen Elizabeth. I don't have much evidence to go on, but I think redheads may be coming back. I can think of just four redheads. I'm going to ignore Carrot Top because with a name like that you have to put him in the orangehead category.

1) Red Head TA
- This guy was probably the worst redhead I've ever known. He was bitter, hated life, but loved history. Probably the least sympathetic TA in all of BYU. I think I got a good grade in his class so this isn't just built up anger about him. He really just didn't like people. He is very feisty. A definite thumbs down for redheads. - 1

2) Andy Dalton, Quarterback, TCU

Though he wasn't even invited to the Heisman trophy presentation, this guy should've been a top candidate to win and definitely is the best QB in the mountain west in recent years. He definitely should've at least been considered...if it weren't for redhead prejudice. His team went undefeated and yet somehow will not have any chance to play for the national championship either...if it weren't for redhead prejudice. He does seem a little feisty though. Still he wins a thumbs up for redheads. + 1

3) Ashton (not Kutcher)

Ashton is one of my best friends and is also one of the top five nicest people I know. That list is very exclusive. Although she hasn't been a candidate for any national championships or trophies as far as I know, she does have skills at several sports. Plus, her brother-in-law Noah is on the BYU basketball team and if they win a national championship this year, Ashton deserves some sort of credit. And if that weren't enough...Ashton is going on a mission to Argentina in two months. That's Elizabethan cool...it's a redhead joke if you don't get it, study wikipedia. She does exude similar feisty tendencies to other redheads, though. But she's more than good enough for a thumbs up in my book. + 1

4) Matt
This is Matt, another top-notch friend. Like Ashton, he is also on my top 5 nicest people list. Now that just blows my mind. Only 2% of people are redheads but on my nicest people list, 2/5 (40%) are - we may have a new redhead prejudice forming. Maybe redheads are feisty but nice? Unfortunately Matt isn't very feisty. Kinda bucks the trend there. Red head TA has enough feistyness for him and Matt both so we'll count it. Matt comes from a foreign land, and can match wits with the best of them. That just reminded me of Conan who also has red hair. We'll pretend I don't know who he is - this blog is too long already. Anyway, Matt is awesome. He gets a thumbs up. + 1

RED HEADS WIN: 3 - 1
I'm not sure what to think of it all. I say we bring redheads back to their Elizabethan glory. What are your thoughts??? I only have 6 followers, so if you're not one but somehow found this blog, feel free to comment...

On a completely unrelated note - this was an amazing talk by D. Todd Christofferson. It's 35 minutes about how to live your life with the proper perspective and how to be happy. It's definitely more valuable than watching a 30 minute episode of whatever you're going to watch on tv, so watch it: Click Here

8 comments:

  1. I agree on the part where redheads should do a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I personally have experienced an increased interest in red heads over the past couple of years. First of all, Ron Weasley. He came in to the picture and started to make things happen. And as if he weren't enough, Mrs. Weasley. Ginny as well. And the lovely Mr. Weasley. And the twins of course. Such a kind and fun-loving family. That deserves a plus 2 or if we can count each one, then +7 (are there 7 or 8?). They definitely are changing things for the red-headed people of the world. Then I met another red head who just so happens to be on MY top 5 list of the nicest people ever. He is also very smart, very funny, and very ____ . Although he is only one person, he adds 2 points for red heads...plus his whole family has red hair. So wow. This post has really got me thinking. They truly are...Elizabethan Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Redheads are a special sort of awesome. Matthew is also one of my favorite redheads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe because some of my favorite people are gingers, I haven't noticed the bad rep they may have. One of these friends was in Taiwan with me, and let me tell you, the Taiwanese had no idea how to handle the awesomeness of his hair. We couldn't take him anywhere, because of the crowds that would flock to take his picture--instant celebrity status. Anyhow, I agree with Sarah, redheads are totally Elizabethan cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just remember, there are imposters out there...even famous ones like Lucille Ball. People try to be amazingly awesome like redheads, but dying hair doesn't make you awesome. Maybe that's what happened with redhead TA. He wanted to be awesome and thought that dying his hair would make it so...That being said, most redheads I know are pretty freakin' fantastic! But then, as a redhead, I am fairly bias... - Brenda Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA! My Mom always said we all have red hair in the celestial kingdom... I supposed only a few of us could be so blessed in earth life :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay. It is now time for you to update your blog. NEXT!

    ReplyDelete